Monday, April 19, 2010

Flirt by Laurell K Hamilton

Due to my weekend schedule, I actually had time to do some reading. Earlier this week, because of several doctor appointments for my mother-in-law, I was able to finish Born of Ice by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Great book, wonderful series! I can't wait to read more of them. :)

However, the one I finished earlier today was Flirt by Laurell K Hamilton. The latest Anita Blake book. I was hesitant on reading this book, especially since I spent extra money because I didn't want to wait another year to get it in softback. I fell in love with the Anita Blake series a couple of years ago and quickly got caught up. However, like many of her other fans, I noticed a big change in the series. It had become more sex than plot. Okay, I have no objection against sex, but every other page? And occassionally I felt that it didn't continue to progress the storyline, but just a filler to make the book longer -- remember, I said occassionally. ;) 
I'll admit, I'm a huge Jason and Richard fan. I dislike the direction of Anita and Richard's relationship has taken over the course of the last several books, but I still hold out hope that he'll come to his senses and 'share'. And I adored the turn in Jason and Anita's relationship - about time - and glad they are still friends over lovers.
Anyway, this book took me back to why I liked the series...almost. It wasn't as exciting, per say as the first books, but it didn't revolve around her hookng/having sex with a character. Yeah, it happened, but eventually and it was only because it was a necessity.
Hamilton also cut down on the cast of characters for this book. Jean-Claude's not even in here, just her three main animals to call, along with some new were-lions.

Overall, I really enjoyed the book and had a hard time putting it down. If you are a Anita Blake fan I'm glad to say that I think that she may be trying to get back to the tough-ass heroine we all fell in love with...just with a bit more baggage and a little more sensitivity and control. Hey everyone's got to grow, right?

My biggest complaint: It was only 158 pages!!! Come on...what's up with that?

I'll be reading the next AB installment.

However, I'm not sure about her latest Merry Gentry book. I don't rely solely on reviews, but when the majority (like 8 of 10 type of numbers) are really bad...well, it makes me pause. Maybe when it comes out in paperback I'll pick it up and see...

No comments: