Sunday, February 28, 2010

Movie Review: The Lightening Thief

I took my boys to the much anticipated movie - Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightening Thief. Knowing the movie was coming out and after much bugging from one of my sons I read the 5 book series...in a week! Yes, it was that good, in my opinion. I love mythology and the author truly knew how to twist it to be entertaining and original.

If you've read the books...DON'T GO TO THE MOVIE!

Yes, I made that quite loud didn't I. I've never seen a story so butchered in my life. Don't get me wrong, the movie was done very well. I loved the special effects, the actors were great, and if I didn't know the storyline, it would have been perfect. However, that's not the case. And I can't help but wonder how the authro signed off on this movie?

Obviously, there isn't a sequel scheduled for this movie - at least I hope not. Because they left out all the major points, conflicts, and bits that made up the book series. First off, they made the gods too formal. In the books, Poseidon is almost always wearing laid back fisherman clothes and flip flops, not some roman battle gear. The 'human' characterization to the gods was a really piogent part of the series that I liked. So to make them so...serious and stiff was a dissapointment.

There's no mention of the reason for Camp Half-Blood, Percy being kicked out all previous schools, the agreement for the big 3 not to have more kids since WWII because they are too powerful which leads to the big prophecy - big plotline for the entire series - , Percy's dreams, Kronos, or even the Oracle who gives the demigods their quests. Also, it seems as if everyone knows who their godly parent is, which is another conflict throughout the series. So Percing being Poseiden's son was no surprise and of course that meant they left out how they discovered he was the son of one of the 3 big gods. Then there are all the pool scenes that they included. *sigh*

Instead, the main deal with the movie is that no god is allow contact with their mortal child after born or they might become too human. *pfft* And Percy's quest is self assigned since Hades pops up and says that he has his mom. So he's got to go and find all of Persephone's pearls to get out of Hades once he has rescued her.

Not!

In the book they are a gift from another god and he doesn't get his mother out of Hades that way.

Oh, don't get me started on Hades and Persephone. Yeah, he's a butt, but they portrayed his wife as a slut. Honestly, out of all the different versions of her, I've never heard that one and it certainly wasn't portrayed that way in the series.

Then there was Annabeth, Percy's female friend that accompanies him on all the quests. She's the daughter of Athena, so she has wisdom. She's a genius at architecture, has lots of great plans and ideas and then this really cool Yankees hat that turns her invisible. That's in the book. The movie just has her as a sidekick. No ideas on how to get out the trouble that follows them or even her nifty hat. What a waste of a great character. Which brings me to their age. In the books Percy is brought in at 12 yrs old and doesn't realize he had feelings for Annabeth until what? book 3 when they're about 14. Reasonable. The movie has them probably around 15 or 16 and filled with sexual tension and about to kiss o_O I'm all for romance, obviously, but dang it, it's just not right.

There were also a lot of massacres to the plot that I'd spend all day picking it apart...like the location they fought the hydra (I don't even think that was in the Lightening Thief but a later book) and what happened to the big fight with Ares and not Luke? Yeah, they messed with the bad guy and the reason behind it all too. *sigh* Even his weapon. A writing pen that turns into a sword. They don't say that it's a cursed sword or that it will appear in Percy's pocket if he loses it within minutes. Oh, and then the movie says to click it to activate it. *banging head on the table* No, it's a pen that has a cap that has to be removed. UGH! They even took out the blue quirk that Percy shared with his mom. That would have been a good relief to see.

So my advise is not to see it if you've read the books.
But have at it if you haven't. :)

Basically, they made it a dark story without all the fun quirks that made it a fun and entertaining read. It was a great disappointment for me. Heck, even the Twilight series and Harry Potters series stays to the basic plotline.

Sorry for the rant. Guess I'm done now, though it still bugs me. *sigh* But such is life. Can't have everything perfect, can we?

No comments: