Thursday, February 04, 2010

Have you ever...

started a book series and just had to keep reading to find out what happens?

For those of you who don’t know, I’m a series whore. LOVE series. Most of the books I end up reading are series. I don’t know how many times I’ve read a book and realize it’s part of a series and then run around like crazy to get the rest of them, and then sometimes I can’t read them fast enough or real life interferes and messes with my reading. *sigh*

Well, I just finished another series in one week. Many have seen the previews for the movie Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightening Thief. It’s based on a YA series by Rick Riordan (http://www.rickriordan.com ). It’s based on a group of demigods – the children of the Greek Gods (half human, half god).

My son has all five books and has been bugging me for a while that I should read them because he knows how much I like mythology. Since I know I’ll be taking my kids to the movie after it’s released next week, I figured I’d at least read the first book. Yeah, right. I couldn’t stop reading this week.

I know not everyone likes Young Adult books, but I see them as easy reads and easier on my mind. O-o They are refreshing and many times very original as they don’t always have a strong romantic themes (gasp – I know, it’s crazy, but it’s a nice break).

But I would recommend the Percy Jackson series greatly. It’s full of action, some suspense, and mystery. I really enjoyed Mr. Riordan’s view of the ancient Greek Gods and how they treat their children and other mortals. It’s written in the first person (Percy’s pov), but I don’t feel like I miss anything like sometimes happens with first person stories.

I know many of you are romance readers, but please take some time to check these books out as they are quite entertaining.

Now my son is bugging me to read the two Kingdom Keepers books he has (more YA books that center around Walt Disney World and a movie is being made of that also). Maybe after I read a few ebooks in my file and catch up on the last book of The House of Night series ( www.houseofnightseries.com ). That YA series does have romantic overtures to it. ^-^

My question to readers…What series have you found that you just can’t put down?

No comments: